Article Processing Charges (APC) Information
General Information on ISRD’s Article Processing Charges (APC)
ISRD publishes all its journals in full open access, meaning unlimited copy and redistribution of the material in any medium or format, under the CC BY-NC-ND license agreement.
Authors pay a one-time Article Processing Charge (APC) to cover the costs of peer review administration and management, professional production of articles in PDF and other formats, and dissemination of published papers in various venues, in addition to other publishing functions. There are no charges for rejected articles, no submission charges, and no surcharges based on the length of an article, figures or supplementary data. Some items (Editorials, Corrections, Addendums, Retractions, Comments, etc.) are published free of charge.
|Service functions||% of total||Amount (Euro)|
|120 Euro||120 Euro|
|1. Publishing Operations & Projects||17%||20.4|
|2. Journal publication||40%||48|
|3. Editorial Fees||14%||16.8|
|4. Marketing and Communication||4%||4.8|
|6. Discounts & waivers||19%||22.8|
|Total publication fee per article (Euro)||100%||120 Euro|
Publishing Operations & Projects
ISDR develops and maintains its own electronic submission. It runs several platforms to offer different types of services for scholars.
- Multi-disciplinary Journal of Research “Olcinium” – a multidisciplinary platform where authors can publish their articles with a lower charge
- International Scientific Conferences Proceedings – by offering researchers and scholars the opportunity to host and participate in academic conferences.
- Journal publication
- Triaging — Filtering of papers upon submission by internal staff and editorial board members.
- Organization of peer-review — ISRD provides a high degree of assistance to Academic Editors so that they can only focus on editorial decisions. We employ in-house editors to invite reviewers, collect review reports, communicate with authors and reviewers, correspond with authors about revision, etc.
- Production — including copy-editing, typesetting, copy-editing XML and PDF conversion, and language editing.
- Proofreading — Corresponding with authors to approve the final text and requesting any missing information.
- Other Editorial assistance — Handling any questions and requests for support before submission, during the editorial and peer-review process, or post-publication.
- Indexing & archiving — ISRD has a team dedicated to indexing relations who advise on the eligibility of a journal for application to be indexed . Our team communicate closely with the contact persons at the different databases and receive regular updates on the status of applications. We dedicate time to keep ourselves up to date on any changes in the evaluation criteria or application procedure.NOTE: There are two timeframes for submitting journals for evaluation in ISSJM.
|First call for journals on January 10th||Second call for journals on September 10th|
|Journal submission by 20th of February||Journal submission by 20th of October|
|Journal publication by 20th of April||Journal publication by 20th of December|
- Editorial Fees
ISRD pays a stipend to all Editors-in-Chief and a share of revenue to the societies whose journals it publishes.
- Marketing and Communication
ISRD allocates part of its income to the promotion of journals and articles through sponsorships of conferences, scholarly society events, and other promotional activities, as well as a series of awards to support researchers.
Management & administration includes cost related to salaries of non-editorial staff and other business costs. They include all the fees paid by ISRD for membership in publishing organizations:
- Discounts and waivers
ISRD waives 25%–27% of its content every year. We are committed to supporting the transition of all research to full open access, so offer APC waivers or discounts to some authors. Although we display an APC on the website, in our journals we waive between 70% and 100% of papers; we display an APC in order to demonstrate to authors that there is a cost to publication.
Scholars and members of societies affiliated to an ISRD journal benefit from a discount as well as authors affiliated to institutions participating in our Institutional Activities.
For journals in fields with low levels of funding, where authors typically do not have funds available, APCs are typically waived and cross subsidized from fields for which more APC funding is available. For authors from low- and middle-income countries, waivers or discounts may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
Avoiding Surcharges from Extensive English Editing or Extensive Reformatting on Submitted Articles
Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use ISRD’s English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions. If you use an alternative service that provides a confirmation certificate, please send a copy to the Editorial Office.
Funding of APCs and BPCs
Many funding agencies and institutions explicitly allow the use of research grants for the payment of APCs and BPCs for publishing open access articles and books. For more information on APC and BPC funding see the following page.
Discounts on APCs
Waivers may be granted at the Publisher’s discretion and should be discussed with the editorial office when submitting the article. The editorial decision making is decoupled from the authors’ ability to pay the Processing Charges, however authors should consider in advance whether they have sufficient funds to cover the full APC/BPC.
MDPI also offers discount vouchers to selected reviewers.
We accept payments in Euro (EUR), US Dollars (USD), British Pound Sterling (GBP), Swiss francs (CHF), Swedish Krona (SEK), Australian Dollar (AUD), or Canadian Dollar (CAD).
Accepted Methods of Payment
ISRD currently supports the following payment methods:
For more detailed information on how to pay an invoice, please see our Payment Instructions.